GULFSHORE PLAYHOUSE SEEKS CARPENTER
Gulfshore Playhouse, a not-for-profit, professional theatre company located in Naples, Florida, is seeking a dynamic, detail-oriented and experienced individual to serve as Carpenter.
Gulfshore Playhouse offers a diverse season of straight plays and small musicals ranging from venerated classics and Broadway hits to contemporary works and world premieres. The Playhouse is passionately committed to producing high-quality, professional theatre which exceeds the expectations of the cultured residents and visitors of Naples, FL, many of whom are regular theatre patrons in New York, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C.
Gulfshore Playhouse has performed for many years in an intimate 200-seat venue at the Norris Center, a municipal building run by the City of Naples. The Playhouse is in the final phases of a $66M capital campaign and has broken ground on the Baker Theatre and Education Center, a state-of-the-art facility, featuring a 350-seat mainstage with a Broadway-sized stage, a 125-seat flexible space, rehearsal studios, classrooms, and rental space. The project is currently in the construction phase.
Status: Full time, year-round position
Start Date: Late August 2023
Job Duties include but not limited to:
- Assist Technical Director, Assistant Technical Director, and Charge Carpenter in the build, load-in, strike, and general upkeep of each production
- Construct scenery as assigned by Charge Carpenter
- Construct scenery; including understanding working drawings/elevations, cut lists, construction methods; pneumatics, hand tools, power tools, adhesives, foams, etc.
- Maintain excellent communication with the Charge Carpenter about the status of daily tasks
- Maintain a safe, healthy, and clean work/shop environment.
- Follow through with completion of daily notes as assigned by Technical Director or Charge Carpenter
- Assist with load-ins, strikes, and load-outs of all productions.
- Assist Charge Carpenter in leading and training seasonal staff.
- Maintain and repair scenery throughout the run.
- Provide assistance in other departments as needed.
- Adhere to all safety protocols at all times
- Provide support for special events
- Any other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate is a strong, team-spirited self-starter who is excited to join a tireless, rapidly-growing, and attitude-forward regional theatre. Candidates should be friendly, excellent with patrons, staff, and visiting actors alike, and possess excellent communication and organizational skills. The Playhouse values hard work, kindness, generosity, passion, and grace-under-pressure. Employee will be expected to work extended hours on occasion when necessary to meet goals. Weekend and evening hours are required including attendance at performances, special events, and/or meetings that may happen outside normal hours.
- Minimum 3 years experience in the field (including at the college level)
- Knowledge and expertise in scenic construction techniques and materials.
- Ability to prioritize and self-start tasks.
- Ability to work with a team and skillfully delegate work.
- Experience in lighting, paints, or props a plus but not required
We acknowledge there are great candidates who may not have all of the qualifications listed above, but possess intuitive knowledge or other fully transferable skills.
Our Charter: https://gulfshoreplayhouse.org/charter/
Contract Dates: Full Time Year round Position starting late August 2023
Compensation: $17-19/hr with overtime after 40 hours in a week DOE
Benefits include Paid Time Off; Health, Dental, Vision plans; 403b retirement plan.
Gulfshore Playhouse is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse staff; we strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups and diverse backgrounds to apply.
Please send resume, cover letter, and references to Ray Inkel, Director of Production, at email@example.com to apply.